Search This Blog

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Seedling Update & First Orange

Seedlings sure move fast once they get started!

The beetroot seedlings are looking healthy and growing fast. The top picture is of the remaining cylindrical beetroot seeds, which are basically little dried seed pods.





The transplanted beetroot seedlings are doing fine in their new coconut coir bed.




The Crystal Apple cucumbers are doing well, too. There's a new seedling visible, which seemed to just appear overnight. It's a lovely yellow.

And the original seedling is going strong. You can now see the two leaves inside the seed husk starting to unfold.



The Cherrie Sweetie tomatoes are starting to appear as well. Most are still folded over, like the first picture, but one's leafy and going for it.




Bush basil seeds that I sowed the day before yesterday - they've absorbed water and swollen up, and paled from dark grey. Also, you can see a tiny root sprouting!




I also planted out more seeds at the same time. The Scarlet Runner bean and the Paris Market Carrot just arrived and look pretty amazing. I've hidden the runner beans around the garden, as well as planting them in seed trays.


They've already started sprouting! The runner beans have started to crack open (they're hatching!) and the tiny carrot seeds have little roots.



I also got to harvest the tiny orange from the dwarf Navel orange (I think it's a Best Seedless).

The cat wasn't very impressed.



So I made my own cat, who was wide eyed with citrus-y wonder.




And then I ate it (well, I shared it). It was actually really nice. I left it on the tree for about a week after the last green vanished, and that seems to be about right.














No comments:

Post a Comment