Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Chilean Guavas and Dwarf Manukas

My dwarf manukas and Chilean guava cuttings arrived. All the Huia cuttings had lovely flowers all over them.


I potted all the Chilean guavas into larger pots (which they can grow into, and then I'll repot them into REALLY BIG POTS). The manuka plants are (mostly) going down the side of the drive, which is not really a great spot to grow things (the soil is both clay, pebble and pumice! Very weird). It's full of weeds, but I weeded and planted six of the manuka plants and mulched with bark, so I now have one tiny neat section.

 I'll probably need about 50 plants if I wanted to do the whole length the same way... I'll have to think about it. All of them being the same would be boring (though I am mixing species; still, they basically look the same, they just flower at different times and will grow to slightly different tiny sizes). I'm avoiding putting anything delicate or edible down there, because it's not a great spot (though gets lots of sun), it's a bit too far for easy watering (manukas are super tough and can be ignored forever once they start growing), and because there's a highish chance of random car/people damage.

I'm also going to be planting strawberries this week - lots of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment